xDesign is a UK-based Digital Development Partner working with some of the UK’s most recognisable brands like MoneySavingExpert, FanDuel and Tesco Bank. Our reputation as a partner determined to deliver high-quality and robust web and mobile products has enabled us to scale to over 500 people in the last few years.
With even more ambitious growth plans for 2023 and beyond, we’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer (Java) to work on interesting and varied projects across a range of industries. We are looking for someone who will take ownership and work autonomously to drive our digital ambitions from idea to implementation and beyond.
Our recent partnership with FanDuel is an excellent example of this approach in action. Read our case study here.
About the role and team:
You will form part of a cross-functional agile team, working closely with 3-5 other engineers, led by an Engineering Manager, and working closely with QA, Product and Design teams to deliver high-quality work for clients across a number of industries.
We strive to create the best product possible with everyone's effort, and you'll be an integral part of that mission. Your role in the team is highly valued, and you'll be a key player in ensuring the success of our projects.
We define our Senior role as someone who is able to confidently champion technical improvements, sets the bar high for best engineering practices and takes responsibility for the overall success of the project for the client and xDesign.
Our backend team focuses on the following tech stack:
- RESTful Java APIs
What you'll be doing:
- Developing RESTful Java APIs, including interaction with databases with a focus on readable, maintainable and well-tested code
- Integrating with third-party APIs such as payment gateways
- Being an advocate for engineering best practice within your project team
- Help to grow our engineering function by participating in initiatives designed to increase our technical capabilities
- Collaborating with the full project team (including BAs, QAs and members of the client team) to provide the best solutions to our clients
- Identifying bottlenecks in the software delivery process and removing any roadblocks that arise
- Professional handling of difficult client communications for specific issues
- Identifying knowledge gaps and mentoring opportunities for your team
- Being able to define and oversee the technical implementation of a client project
We'd love to talk to you if:
- You have strong knowledge of API development using Java, including ORM storage
- You actively facilitate and encourage knowledge sharing within the team and wider department
- You advocate for best engineering practices such as code reviews, paired programming, and automated tests
- You are familiar with cloud services and CI/CD (this is a bonus)
What we'll offer you:
We have an extensive and highly talented engineering community at xDesign for you to learn from. We have an Engineering Presenters session every fortnight where engineers present a technical topic to their peers. We also bring the backend department together a few times a year in person for a day full of workshops, internal talks, networking and learning.
We have a range of employee-led communities such as STEM, security, accessibility, neurodiversity and more. You can even start your own, everyone has an opportunity to make an impact on the wider business.
Our benefits include:
- 6 paid learning and development days a year and a generous individual budget
- Total 35 days holiday (we have flexible bank holidays)
- Comprehensive private medical insurance
- Enhanced parental and adoption leave
- 1-1 professional financial coaching
- Up to 50% off an electric vehicle
- Pension - matched up to 5%
View our complete list of benefits here.
At xDesign, we believe great digital experiences are built by great people who nurture great relationships. We're truly a people-first business and continuously work to make xDesign a comfortable, diverse and inclusive place for everyone.
Our people-focused approach recently earned us the #1 spot on the “UK’s Best Workplaces™ in Tech 2022”, #1 spot on “UK’s Best Workplace for Wellbeing 2023”.
We are a remote-first company, so our employees can choose what works best for them. Our offices are based in central Edinburgh and Leeds, which you can use as much or as little as you wish. We see the value in face-to-face collaboration, so we provide a quarterly budget for you to meet with your team.
We create and reinforce a culture that rewards employees’ impact, not just activity. We trust our employees to work autonomously and promote ownership across all levels.
Our Talent Acquisition team aim to respond to all applications within a reasonable timeframe, regardless of if we are progressing with your application.
Our interview process:
- 30-minute recruiter call
- 1-hour technical assessment
- Take home test or pair programming session + values interview
You can choose a short take-home task or a live pairing exercise for the final interview, whichever suits you best. Our interview process is designed as an opportunity both for our interviewers to learn about your expertise, interests and motivations and for you to gain insights into xDesign, the role and the team, so throughout the process, you’ll meet a few people from our backend team as well as others from our wider teams to help you get a well-rounded view of the role and life at xDesign.
We believe that representative teams made up of people with different backgrounds, skills, and points of view help us build the best workplace possible, and enable us to create genuinely innovative, broadly useful products.
We are committed to our goal of creating the most inclusive workplace possible. As we strive to build an environment where everyone can thrive and be themselves, we will continue to investigate and challenge biases, while working to identify and remove obstacles to inclusion. If you need additional support or accommodation during the application process, please don’t hesitate to let us know.